Full disclosure: I have a degree in linguistics, and so I am partial to descriptivist approaches to questions of usage. For me, assertions of correctness or incorrectness that are not reflective of actual usage are highly questionable.
I am a native speaker of American English.
Top Network Posts
- 241Is there a correct gender-neutral, singular pronoun ("his" versus "her" versus "their")?
- 156When is it appropriate to end a sentence in a preposition?
- 93Why is there still case sensitivity in some programming languages?
- 92How do I tell if a variable has a numeric value in Perl?
- 89"Email" or "e-mail"?
- 72"Less" vs. "fewer"
- 61"A/An" preceding a parenthetical statement
- View more network posts →